Once you travel through Peru, you realize this is a land full of enchanting and mysterious destinations.
Like the mysterious Nazca Lines.
I had read about it in one of those unsolved mysteries of the world. No one knows for certain why and how these lines were drawn. Some claim it was a sort of calendar. The most popular belief is that it was done for some alien life form that perhaps used to visit this area. Here are some reasons why this belief stuck:
- The lines are huge in overall size. One had to have large mechanized equipment and knowledge of geometry to draw these lines and it is not certain if those who did this had either of these.
- The lines itself are mysterious since some are etched in the sand and centuries of wind erosion has not covered it.
- The drawings can be visible only from air as they are nearly camouflaged when seen from ground level. This raises the critical question about who was flying around back in those times.
- While most shapes drawn are of animals and birds, the most intriguing of all is the human like drawing (shown above) of something that looks like a man in a “space helmet” or an alien like creature.
There are total of 14 such lines or drawings that have been discovered to date.
Nazca lines is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
To view the lines by air, one has to take a plane service offered by Aerodiana. However, it is highly recommended that you pre-book your tour before arriving at the airport as there is not much else do in the immediate vicinity. My tour was pre-arranged by Gate1 Travel as I was on their 11 Day Affordable Peru with Nazca Lines tour.
Caution: For those who suffer from altitude or motion sickness, please consult your doctor in advance of making a reservation. The planes you will fly on with this company are small (take a look at their website) and the pilots tend to swerve in nearly 45 degrees sideways to give best viewing ability, but this can cause extreme motion sickness to the even some of the most hardened air travellers. Also not recommended for those with high blood pressure or claustrophobia.
Get a preview of what it is like to be in one of the Aerodiana planes to view the mysterious Nazca Lines in Peru by clicking on this video below.
The terrain in this area is amazing.
After the Nazca tour we headed to Paracas. This is an idyllic beach resort. There are two important stops to make here.
1. SUPAY BEACH
2. THE PARACAS DOUBLETREE RESORT & SPA BY HILTON
I kid you not. This is no sponsored endorsement from the hotel. I paid full fare to be there (arranged through Gate1 Travel) and everybody in our tour was exalted by the resort
Disclaimer: A portion of this tour was sponsored by Gate1 Travel. Check out their other incredible tours in Peru.
Thank you for taking time to read this post. Blogging is a labor of love. Reader donations in the form of comments or sharing by any of the means below are much appreciated.
- Affordable Machu Picchu Vacation (larkycanuck.com)
- Peru Hiking Cusco Pisac Intihuatana (larkycanuck.com)